POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Allocating further than 128 to POV : Re: Allocating further than 128 to POV Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allocating further than 128 to POV
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Aug 1999 10:48:46
Message: <37a9a44e@news.povray.org>
In article <1dw### [at] st-etienne-2-74club-internetfr> ,
jl_### [at] club-internetfr (Jean-Luc Peuriere) wrote:

> For 3.1g.r1 same problem.

Try setting the memory cache slider to "Largeste Cache". Oh, and how large
is the POV-Ray scene file? Would it be possible to e-mail it to me? (You can
use tho### [at] trfde instead of mac### [at] povrayorg.)

> If codewarrior memory management is somewhat weak, I still think there
> is a problem of adressing space. I was able to render the scenes with a
> smaller system, thus going under the 128 Mo and it worked fine.

Well, there are a lot of applicions developed with CodeWarrior and I am
pretty sure they would have found it before. It has to do with the number of
allocations.
One example for the problem appearing before the 128 MB is pyramid2.pov
(under 3.1g, not 3.1gr1). With recursion level 6 it works just fine with
about 15 MB free, if you set it to 7 you will notice t hat the CodeWarror
memory management breaks down (sometimes) after about 40 MB used.  You will
also notice a very, very big slowdown after about half way through parsing.

> I'm new to this newsgroup, so I have only the "POV-Team Plans for 1999"
> document as evolution planning. What is the timeline for 3.5 ?

Except for that document, nothing else has been decided to be final and no
other information has been release so far.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.